Copycat ©

I used to tag back in college. I don't know why really.

Although I love the aesthetic, I do think of it as a destructive act.

My tagname/alias was Copycat and I wrote all over the place. I chose this name because of it's honesty. I was being a copycat of Jean Michel Basquiat. He is one of my heroes and I think of it as a genuine homage.


Before he was an international art star, Jean Michel Basquiat wrote tags all over New York City. They weren't just distinctive signatures. They were quotes, pictures and poems and he signed them SAMO© (SAMO is short for "Same Old Shit"). These tags were something to ponder.



This form of tagging clicked with me and I found it a perfect outlet for the thousands of musings and one-liners bouncing around in my brain. I wrote a lot - mainly on my college campus but I hit the CTA pretty good and lots of bars. It was very fun and I liked hearing people discuss my stuff. It did make me feel guilty from time to time and that is why I am not sure why I did it.


I wrote a lot of the tags down in a journal and I will post examples of these tags from time to time.



No comments:

Post a Comment